Friday 20 June 2014

Word and Spirit

I saw a brief video on youtube which argued for a balance between Word (that is, the Bible) with Spirit.

Some, namely the non charismatics, favour word over Spirit, whereas  Charismatics, particularly in their extreme incarnations, favour Spirit over word.

My rejoinder to both is this:

Those who reject the Spirit for the Word also reject the  Word; and those who reject the Word for the Spirit also reject the Spirit.


I shall elaborate below

Those who reject Spirit also reject the Word for the Word speaks time and time again of the Spirit without Whom we cannot grow as christians. For it is still true that the letter kills. It is the Spirit, namely the Holy Spirit of Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, who gives us life in personal relationship one on one. Without the Spirit the Bible consists of things we as carnal minds find ridiculous if we were honest enough to admit this; and even such honesty can only come by the conviction of sin that is the speciality of the Holy
Spirit. Moreover without  the Spirit the Bible consists of commandments that are impossible to obey for Paul the apostle speaks of the impossible things of the Law. Without the Spirit we are backsliders even if we were ever born again in the first place for scripture says that if you do not have the Spirit you are none of his. though we might passionately hold the doctrines and work very hard at our lives the core of the faith is the personal relationship with the Spirit of Christ, and not the scriptures which describe Him, the terms He offers for relationship with Him and the nature of our need for Him forsaking Him is to fall into the error of the Galatians

To summarize: To reject the Spirit in favour of the word is to disobey and disbelieve the Word for the Word is not a merely  law code.

More later

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can disagree with me, even spiritedly. But keep it civil as I am the one hurt by cruelty. I must protect myself from nastiness and will block or ban users if I must. And it would help if you offered reasons for your disagreements. If they are good I may respect you. If they are sound I may even change my mind