Saturday 21 June 2014

My Testimony

This piece was written some 12 years ago, hence the age given in this piece

My name is Steve Meikle, I am 43 and a professional classical double bass player
albeit in an orchestra that can only fund itself on a part time basis.

I live in Christchurch, New Zealand

I was an intellectually gifted child, equally involved in the sciences and the arts at
primary school. Intellectually, from the time I could start thinking for myself, I was an
atheist convinced that science had rendered God irrelevant and all religion untrue.
Even though I had two brushes with Sunday school, one at age eight the other at age
12, my thinking was rationalist (for an intelligent pre teen and teenager, that is) and I
took it for granted that rationality implied atheism.

However, emotionally speaking, my flirting with church even in my childhood (there
was no compulsion from my parents to believe anything either way pertaining to any
religious matter at all, for which I thank god) may be revealing of something else
altogether . . .

But at age 19 (1978) with adulthood looming my atheism was more desperate. I was
frantically searching for meaning as I became a nihilist within weeks of my starting
university that year. I was a music student but one would not have guessed this as I did
side papers in philosophy and Russian literature, and philosophy was my
preoccupation.

Gradually my atheism assumed all the torment of a character in a Dostoyevsky novel.
And the depression that hit when I was 16 and concluded that life was indeed
meaningless was consolidating itself as my life style and conviction.

 I raved about philosophy to any who would listen, one so afflicted by me suggested I
come to her church where the pastor had a degree in philosophy. This was fateful as
this church, in my own home neighbourhood was one I had had dealings before (age
12) and it was the one I later joined.

I spoke to the pastor but he was unimpressive. I went to the church over three weeks
but was only impressed by the wrong things (as I now see in retrospect).

On the third week I went to a young adults supper after the service but had already
decided that they had nothing to offer and that I would not be returning. I embarrassed
myself by my raving philosophy at the party. They gave me a lift home. I got into my
room at about 11:45 p.m. Sunday 30 July 1978. I looked in the mirror and a powerful
inner voice spoke to me saying "YOU FRAUD". But though powerful it was not
condemnatory. There was no fear or violence. But interestingly enough no intellect
was involved at all. That was to come later yet the anti intellectual implications I drew
in part from this and from what the church told me were totally wrong as well

 I fell to my knees as if knocked down and asked Jesus to be my lord or saviour or
something to that effect (I do not remember the exact words).

And then I was flooded by the most wonderful peace and joy I had ever known.

Hence my conversion was a la Damascus Road but without the visions St Paul saw

However the next morning the doubt hit me. I had always defined religious experience
as wish fulfillment fantasy (and seriously think now, 24 years later that most indeed
are just that). Of course my response to these was wrong.

Had I accepted both what the Lord told me then and the implications of it I would
have been spared years of suffering. But my experience persuaded me,  quite wrongly,
that other Christians had the same or even deeper, and that they were to be trusted. I
am forced to concede that this is indeed a mistake, and have written concerning it
elsewhere.

Thus my testimony is of the love and grace of God direct to me and not through any
church

The Lord revealed his love to me over the next three weeks or so but I now know I did
not believe it, and the resultant darkness was not what many call a desert experience
sent in order to encourage me to move on (they do not exist, IMO) but proof that I had
already backslidden from god in my heart even though I was soon to become a
devoted son of my church and a religious zealot.

They were all direct unmediated revelations with no connection to any mediator or
church - this I of course ignored at the time.

My doubts have been brought into abeyance by first rational argument and then
repentance, both  lead by the Holy Spirit through one on one dialogue, for it is written
in the Bible “come let us reason together”.

Intellectually I am becoming more and more convinced that Christ is the only way and
that his gospel is in fact logically necessary. But such convictions are more the realm
of apologetic argument than testimony except that I grow increasingly to believe that
the Lord has reasoned with me in debate with his Spirit to lead me to see the logical
necessity of his gospel.

Despite the hard years since, my conversion, such sufferings brought about by my
unbelief, I can only thank god for reaching down to me that dark night. My despair
was such then that I may well be dead now if he had not, or if I had refused him when
he did.



No comments:

Post a Comment

You can disagree with me, even spiritedly. But keep it civil as I am the one hurt by cruelty. I must protect myself from nastiness and will block or ban users if I must. And it would help if you offered reasons for your disagreements. If they are good I may respect you. If they are sound I may even change my mind