Saturday 31 March 2018

Brevity the Soul of Wit

Years ago I  knew my subject, or thought i did, sufficiently that i could talk for hours on it.

Now it is my hope or at least my prayer and aspiration that I understand my subject sufficiently well that I only need talk for minutes

I came to this conclusion after seeing a video of a world famous apologist answering a question during a Q&A period . I thought of that famous quote  to Mozart by the Hapsburg Emperor Joseph II, one of the few things the movie Amadeus actually got right.

His Imperial and Apostolic Majesty said to Mozart,  "very good, sir but far too many notes."

I would say to this apologist  if firstly I could contact him and secondly if I thought he would heed it

"very good sir, but far too many words."

Brevity is still the soul of wit and many words mask incomprehension of the sdubject all too often, or mask the arrogance of loquacity

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can disagree with me, even spiritedly. But keep it civil as I am the one hurt by cruelty. I must protect myself from nastiness and will block or ban users if I must. And it would help if you offered reasons for your disagreements. If they are good I may respect you. If they are sound I may even change my mind