Friday 18 July 2014

Meikle the Musician: My Advice to Young Musicians

I did say this was a Miscellany, and not merely a sounding board for  matters theological.

I speak only of classical music, classical in the broadest popular sense  for the technical meaning of the term is the music of Haydn, Mozart and their contemporaries.

I have neither knowledge nor interest in the various brands of popular music  current these days  so would not dream of offering any advice to musicians of that type, having no basis in experience or knowledge to do so.

For many years I played Double Bass in my professional orchestra, the Christchurch Symphony Orchestra. It was not the best orchestra even in my country, but my lack of commitment was such that I could not bring myself to pursue a career where the talent that  I grew to find burdensome would have led

They said I was good, very good, brilliant even. So they were offended or perplexed when I left them

But the fact is I drifted in to Bass playing and merely drifted along, having no idea what else to do. Inertia got me in, back in 1972, and kept me in for forty years.

My point is this, my advice to young musicians.

If you do not love the craft with all your heart, mind, soul and strength, as I did not, I strongly urge you to get out now while you are young enough to find something else that may fulfill.

Music is a good enough servant. One comes home, puts the stereo on and has a pleasant dinner. But music is a harsh mistress demanding only  the very highest  price before giving of her delights.

For the music professions demands total commitment, something between the discipline of the athlete and the monk, because learning an instrument is not like riding a bike, and singing, from what I have heard, is even less so. The skill must be maintained  by daily effort. But this I found drudgery, even if my talent was such that I may have needed less practice than most.  Yet even  such work as my talent required was more than I was willing  to give and all my native ability  did was delay by decades the inevitable, namely disgust and eventual resignation  Only love for music and for the business of making music can suffice to make it worth the effort.

And if you do not love the music trade but are a musician, and I saw some over the years, and became one of them myself, it will eat you alive.

For I burnt out, grew to hate the double bass and the profession and bitterly resented the sense of obligation those who trained me inculcated me with.

So, to summarize. Love it. Love it with all you have. Or leave it. And do so as soon as you can, otherwise you may be loaded with regret, as I have been. Without love even that which gives the greatest ecstasies, and I do assure I know the joys of an inspired performance, as fleeting as they are, such will turn to ashes

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can disagree with me, even spiritedly. But keep it civil as I am the one hurt by cruelty. I must protect myself from nastiness and will block or ban users if I must. And it would help if you offered reasons for your disagreements. If they are good I may respect you. If they are sound I may even change my mind