Saturday 1 September 2018

The Nations, Patriotism and the Left/Right Divide - brief

I am a  christian. Why am i not a patriot? Because the Bible says that i am a foreigner in this world, my citizenship is in heaven, the world - the whole world -  is in opposition to God,  the nations are insignificant drops in the bucket. I am commanded to behave myself that the gospel of christ be not discredited because of me and my loyalty is to God - or at least should be and i am repenting of the shortfall as it arises -  and  not to anything else. and as Jesus said no man can serve two masters - not that he ought not do so but that it was an impossibility - how can one be a patriot as well as a Christian? Loving my neighbour is one thing, indeed it is one thing patriots are significantly lacking in when they have such contempt for the poor among their own countrymen. So their love for their country is an abstraction, an idea, in fact it is an idol, the very sin of idolatry

As for the conservative /liberal question: the love of Christ is so rare that it is not traditional for the trad forms of church religion are without this love and always have been . Indeed biblical agape love is so radical that the conservatives cannot accept it any more than atheist Leftists can - and the conservatives certainly cannot produce it. But I will give the Left one tiny measure of credit. As most of them seem to me to be atheists they do not so easily blaspheme the Name of God by invoking it to back their political schemes as so many of the Right are wont to do So I am no patriot and no conservative, but I am no longer a leftist either. For I come to reject totally the notion that Man is perfectible, which is the very staple of Leftist thought. I regard my shift here as that which God wills and leads

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can disagree with me, even spiritedly. But keep it civil as I am the one hurt by cruelty. I must protect myself from nastiness and will block or ban users if I must. And it would help if you offered reasons for your disagreements. If they are good I may respect you. If they are sound I may even change my mind