Saturday 25 February 2017

The Most Astute Commentary

Many years ago, long before there was an Internet and we got our magazines in bookshops or news stands. I saw a cartoon of a man in a line of people queuing up to kiss the backside of a statue. And he was saying to his fellow next in line "you know, this is the part of paganism I really hate.

This is one of the most astute commentaries of paganism I have ever seen.

For regardless of whatever licentiousness pagans might think they can get away with there is a humiliating consequence - hence kissing the backside of an idol

I wish I had thought of it, but as I had not so I can dare entitle this piece as I have, for I am not speaking of anything I invented

Of course when Christians churches treat God Almighty like a pagan godling they show themselves as pagans so come under the rubric of this cartoon. What is even sadder is that insofar as they think they cannot  get away with sin, namely the legalists, they have the misery without the licentiousness, the bondage without even the false liberty, so, as Jesus said of the Pharisees, they are worse than the harlot and the money lender for they are further from the Kingdom of heaven than these

They do this when they think that God is corrupt enough to be brought off by our bribes or stupid enough to fall for our deliberate flattery. Moreover our gifts and praises  become bribes and flattery when done under compulsion for fear of loss or punishment. So we who do or have done this are pagans.

It makes no difference as to the name of the pagan idol we do these things to, but be assured be blasphemy is enormously enhanced when we worship Jesus Christ as said idol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can disagree with me, even spiritedly. But keep it civil as I am the one hurt by cruelty. I must protect myself from nastiness and will block or ban users if I must. And it would help if you offered reasons for your disagreements. If they are good I may respect you. If they are sound I may even change my mind