Thursday 7 January 2016

Christian values?

This is in reply to a Conservative website. Conservatives, whose thought exemplifies the "love of money [which] is the root of all sorts of evil", and also "the deceitfulness of riches" whereby the conscience is depraved (both are Biblical quotes) are fond of saying that Western Culture is built on Christian principles. This is arrant and arrogant nonsense. Since when was the West EVER built on love mercy and forgiveness? It never was. Stern moralism was ever the core of societies as diverse as Confucian China and even Aztec America where children were expected to be obedient to parents. People spouting such nonsense as I refer to above know neither their Bibles nor history for moralism alone is not Christian, not when it is common throughout the world, and the distinctive Christian value which makes the difference is not in evidence in any public square

(more may follow)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can disagree with me, even spiritedly. But keep it civil as I am the one hurt by cruelty. I must protect myself from nastiness and will block or ban users if I must. And it would help if you offered reasons for your disagreements. If they are good I may respect you. If they are sound I may even change my mind