Sunday 9 August 2015

Imperator!!

I have been fascinated by the Roman Emperors for decades Some years ago. I got out, among a host of others over the years,   a book on them from the library called "Chronicle of Roman Emperors" by Chris Scarre.

One thing it does is spells out the meaning and significance of their names and titles, and for each one
gives a full list of them all at various times, at birth, on adoption, on accession,
whenever else some more were added, and finally at death.

For example

Tiberius caesar, divi Augusti filius, Augustus, Pontifex Maximus, tribuniciae
potestatis XXXIIX, imperator VIII, Consul V.

and

Imperator Caesar Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus, Germanicus Sarmaticus,
Pontifex Maximus, Tribuniciae potestatis XXXIV, Imperator X, Consul III, Pater
Patriae.


I discovered that the number of times they were accorded the accolade imperator (literally commander but a paean of praise to said commander, a salutation, in short)  was counted in the list, as well as  the number of years they held the tribunician power .

As an exercise, as I have long held God Almighty to be Emperor, I tried this, namely the Imperial Titles of Jesus Christ, King of Kings (ie Emperor)


Imperator Caesar Divus Dominus Deus Iesus Christus Augustus Rex, divi Domini
Deii Augusti Patris filius, (lit son of the Divine Dominus Deus Augustus Pater)
Peccatoricus, Moricus (conqueror of sin and death, pardon the bad latin) and then on
His return Germanicus, Britannicus, Americanus, Sinicus ie victory title for every every
nation of the earth conquered), Pontifex Magnus Maximus, Tribuniciae potestatis
MCMLXVII, (ie years since resurrection) Imperator times without number, Consul
MCMLXVII, Filius Patris, Magister Militum, Proconsul (ie holding Proconsular
Imperium, cannot be gainsayed).


A word about the Tribunician  veto, which is the point of this post

As the tribune of the plebs the holder of the potestatis had the right to veto any legislation.  The office arose  in response to the Plebian Secessions  whereby the pled, tired of being exploited by the rich, left Rome en masse, not only once but twice back when Rome was merely a city state . Their Tribune, having the Tribunician Power (lat potestas) could veto legislation as part of the checks and balances that made the Roman Republic last so long.

When the Republic fell apart the Emperor took the title as part of the fiction that he was a guardian of  the Republic.
\
Now, to idealize this for my point:

He, Jesus the Emperor, has the right to veto the death sentence on me, as he represents
the plebs, of which I am one.

And so He has done

My excitement at the time of writing this, quite  few years ago now was profound. If I idealise the reality of the tribunate of the plebs and use it as a metaphor, the Divine Emperor the Son of God is For me not against me.


So I shouted to him the soldiers accolade IM PER A TOR!! IM PER A TOR!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

You can disagree with me, even spiritedly. But keep it civil as I am the one hurt by cruelty. I must protect myself from nastiness and will block or ban users if I must. And it would help if you offered reasons for your disagreements. If they are good I may respect you. If they are sound I may even change my mind