Wednesday 1 October 2014

Meikle on Apologetics

Apologetics is busy looking for the magic bullet, the argument that is the best answer which will be irrefutable and have them on their faces repenting, so to speak

But it is stereotypical thinking to assume that the best answer to atheists is a form of words and reasoned arguments that apples to all.

This atheist, ie myself, was converted by no less than the Holy Spirit one dark night in 1978, and His best answer, the one that actually worked , was two words, YOU FRAUD.

What works is what suits each individual when the Spirit speaks to them, not some line of verbal logic from an apologist taken to apply to all.

The fact is if the bible is true then God's existence does not need to be established for it is already known (Romans 1:19-20)

Apologetics, then, which I now reject, bases its operations on an assumption that is contrary to the very scriptures it seeks to defend. It is arm of the flesh and reliance on clever words, not preaching Christ and him crucified.

And without this all they are doing is defending an ideology with Christ's name attached

I am not denying that the faith is logical and patent of rational explication. But I do know that men do not live in the realm of ideas, not even we intellectuals who were stuffed full of them. So our arguments are not persuasive  and this is not because they are invalid but precisely because they are valid. For we  humans, ruled by lusts and prejudice, will not listen to sound arguments. and this fact of human nature is just as the Bible says, rendering our arguments useless

So why do apologists waste their time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can disagree with me, even spiritedly. But keep it civil as I am the one hurt by cruelty. I must protect myself from nastiness and will block or ban users if I must. And it would help if you offered reasons for your disagreements. If they are good I may respect you. If they are sound I may even change my mind